Archbishop Gabriel visits Cappadocia at the Invitation of H.H. Patriarch Bartholomew


At the invitation of H.H. Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew, H. Em. Archbishop Gabriel participated, on 26 and 27 June 2010, in a pilgimage to Cappadocia led personally by the Ecumenical Patriarch.

 

 

Also participating in this pilgrimage were H.B. Patriarch Theodore II of Alexandria and All Africa, H.B. Archbishop Jerome of Athens and All Greece, H. Em. Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, chairman of the Department of External Relations of the Patriarchate of Moscow, and other hierarchs and clergy of the Patriarchates of Constantinople, Alexandria, Moscow and the Church of Greece.

Together, they visited several ancient churches and Byzantine monasteries, at Caesarea of Cappadocia (today Kayseri), Prokopion (Ürgüp), Sinasos (Mustafapasa) and Malakopi (Derinkuyu). It was in the church of Saints Theodore Tyro and Theodore Stratilates of Malakopi, one of the rare Orthodox churches to have remained intact after the exile of the Greek community from Asia Minor in 1923, that, on Sunday 27 June, the Divine Liturgy was concelebrated by both Patriarchs, the Archbishop of Athens, Metropolitan Hilarion and Archbishop Gabriel. The Divine Liturgy was sung by the choir of monks of the Xenophontos Monastery, who had come specially from Mount Athos.

Before leaving for the pilgrimage, on 25 June, Archbishop Gabriel had a working meeting with H.H. Patriarch Bartholomew, then with members of the Synodal Committee in charge of dioceses outside Turkey, chaired by H. Em. Metropolitan Constantine of Derkon.